Saturday, June 1, 2013

Session 3

For session 3 we went over session 2, and the homework in more detail...

I was feeling discouraged from the last session that that had many mistakes. When I don't understand a small piece of a sentence or a concept in Arabic I am able to understand the rest of the sentence and not focus on the small mistakes. However, when there are blatant mistakes in every sentence and I do not understand the reason why, or fail to grasp the taught concept I get frustrated and deterred. 

Instead of teaching a novel concept, we looked at the sentences and my language partner helped me construct meaning and understanding from my mistakes. 

Lesson2.1
1.  Go to the store and buy eggplant, garlic, and onions to cook later.
    go= يذهب  eggplant = باذنجان  cook=يطبخ buy=يشتري

(sm)      اذهب الى السوق و يشتري البادنجان و بصل و ثوم الي تطبخ بعدين.
(sf)   اذهبِ الى السوق و تشتري البادنجان و بصل و ثوم الي تطبخ بعدين.
(p)   اذهبوا الى السوق و تشتروا البادنجان و بصل و ثوم الي تطبخوا بعدين.

Corrections2.1
 - First of all, the entire sentence is an order. In the homework above I have two rules mixed together. When this whole sentence should be similar to the examples in lesson 1.
-the word buy should not have ي at the end. To take it back to the original form I must remove it.
-Since this is an order I need to change the form of how I changed "buy" and make it into order امر form.
- There are two different types of "go". There is go to  a place like I have in the beginning of the lesson, and go as in to go do some action. Thus, " to cook later" is the action go, and I cannot use الى. I must use ثم.

(sm)      اذهب الى السوق و اشتر البادنجان و بصل و ثوم ثمَ اطبخ بعدين.
(sf)   اذهبِ الى السوق و اشترِ البادنجان و بصل و ثوم ثمَ اطبخِ بعدين.
(p)   اذهبوا الى السوق و اشتروا البادنجان و بصل و ثوم ثمَ اطبخوا بعدين.


Homework2.2
2. After you listen to the lesson, complete your homework.
lesson:درس  listen: يستمع  homework: الواجب المنزلي complete: كلمل

(sm) ابعد يسمع الى الدرس، يكمل الواجب المنزلي                                      
(sf)ابعدِ تسمع الى الدرس، تكمل الواجب المنزلي
(p) ابعدوا تسمعوا الى الدرس، تكملوا الواجب المنزلي

Corrections2.2
- In arabic there are conditional sentences that require different grammatical guidelines. The second part of the sentence is the order, but it is also conditional on the first part of the sentence. ان must be added to the 2nd part of the sentence(after complete before homework)
- Complete your homework should be in the order form امير.
-بعد is a preposition and I didn't need to change it at the beginning of the sentence.
-Listen should be changed to the past tense of listen. I have not learned how to change it, but it should be سماعك.

(sm) بعد سماع الى الدرس، اكمل ان الواجب                                    
(sf)بعدِ سماع الى الدرس، اكملِ ان الواجب
(p) بعدوا سماع الى الدرس، اكملوا ان الواجب

For plural homework assignments,: (sm): بعد سماع الى الدرس، اكمل ان الواجبات


Homework2.3
3. Take the keys on the sofa and drive to the school.
keys: مفاتيح  sofa: اريكة university: جامعة drive: قاد take: اجذ

(sm) اجد المفاتيح على الاريكة و يقدالى الجامعة
(sf) اجدِ المفاتيح على الاريكة و تقدالى الجامعة
(p)اجدوا المفاتيح على الاريكة و تقدوا الى الجامعة

Corrections 2.3
- Should be جد not with an alif. There is some rule that if the verb is 2 letters, no alif should be used.
-If I change the sentence to drive ME to the school, then I must change the verb to قيدني like from the give me homework sentence in the previous lesson.
-Whole sentence should be in order form


(sm) جد المفاتيح على الاريكة و قدالى الجامعة
(sf) جدِ المفاتيح على الاريكة و قدالى الجامعة
(p)جدوا المفاتيح على الاريكة و قداو الى الجامعة

Take the keys and drive ME to the school: (sm) جد المفاتيح على الاريكة و قدني الى الجامعة



Homework 2.4
4. Meet the principal in the office.
office: مكر meet: تقابل principal:ناظر

(sm) اقبل الناظرفي المكر
(sf)  اقبلِ الناظرفي المكر
(p) اقبلوا الناظرفي المكر

Corrections 2.4
-Meet should not have an alit( some reason about the letter  ق)
- Desk is the same word for office المكتب


(sm) قبل الناظرفي المكتب
(sf)  قبلِ الناظرفي المكتب
(p) قبلوا الناظرفي المكتب


Homework 2.5
5. Before you go home,  put the papers on the desk.
desk: مكتب put: وضع

(sm)   اقبل يدهب البيت، اوضع الورق على المكتب.
(sf) اقبلِ تدهب البيت، اوضعِ الورق على المكتب.
(p) اقبلوا تدهبوا البيت، اوضعوا الورق على المكتب.

Corrections 2.5
- Conditional sentence
-Should be ضع with no و، thus 2 letters and no alif added.


(sm)   قبل ان يدهب البيت، ضع الورق على المكتب.
(sf) قبلِ تدهب البيت، ضعِ الورق على المكتب.
(p) قبل تدهبوا البيت، ضعوا الورق على المكتب.


Reflections:
I had a break through moment in this lesson. I started to understand why I made certain mistakes, and while some concepts( like the past tense for listen) I have not completely learned, I feel more confident about the sentence constructions.

Part of this had to do with my teacher. He is not focussing on the other mistakes or rules in the sentence and trying to focus on the present rule we are learning. So, the past tense of listen is not what I am learning and we did not focus on it. If a native Arabic speaker reads my sentences above, he will say that the tense of listen is incorrect. My focus is not that part of the sentence. It would be unreasonable to tackle every word at the same time. My focus is to construct meaning, not present a piece of rhetoric that has no mistakes.  He gave me the correct form for listen but we did not go into depth to not overwhelm me and take away from the lesson.

Also, my teacher and I reflected on some of the words and sentence construction in the lesson that differ from English, such as the 2 forms of "go". The word for desk and office are the same, so in last homework I attempted to find another word for office because I did not think this could be correct. However, in arabic the word for desk=office. That is why ELLs will switch the words in English without realizing it.

The word for homework in arabic is واجب . If you have more than one it will be واجبات. In English we do not say "homeworks" plural. This is why ELLs commonly make the mistake of saying homeworks and not homework assignments.

I tried to separate English and Arabic and remind myself you cannot apply the sentence you want in English and construct it in the same way in Arabic. It's hard to make that separation.


No comments:

Post a Comment