Saturday, May 25, 2013

Session 1

Instruction:
Objective: Classroom commands

I wanted to learn how to say " write your name on the top of the paper"  and similar phrases to use in the classroom. My goal is to understand the structure of the words, so I can apply it to other vocabulary and build upon my knowledge( scaffold).

-Looked up write in the dictionary " يكتب".
ي +ك+ ت+ ب=يكتب

- To make this a command for one male: drop first letter  " ي" and add "ا".
اكتب =ا+ك+ت+ب

-To make this command for female, follow steps for male and add vowel حركة kasra كسرة ِِ
اكتبِ

-To address the entire class(male+female) add "ا" and "و" at the end.
اكتبوا  -note the alif is not pronounced.

-Looked up paper in the dictionary it is ورق for many papers ورقة for one paper.

- I know already that the word for on is على.

- I created the sentence write on the paper: اكتبوا على ورقة .

-I know that the word for your name is "اسمك". To make this for the group must add "م"
اسمكم

- I constructed the sentence: write your name on the paper: اكتبوا اسمكم على ورقة.

-I was told the word for top is اعلى.  Write your name on top of the paper:
اكتبوا اسمكم على اعلى ورق


Session Details:

In this session, I told my instructor what I wanted to learn. He would guide me but not tell me what I needed to know. I looked up the words myself, and tried to build upon what I already knew.
- I did not know anything about changing arabic verbs for female and male vs group. I did know how to change the word "name" for group. I have seen the pattern with adding the letter م for groups of people. Example: the greeting  اسلام عليكم salam alikum, peace be upon you. The word alikum is the same word as on على + the letter م for groups. I thus guessed that since your name = اسمك، For a group of people it would change to اسمك+م.

In Arabic, the order of words is often in the "opposite" order that one would normally use in English.  Car yellow, instead of yellow car. So, I initially thought that the words would need to be switched around. However, in this type of sentence the word placement is almost identical to that in English.
I was able to confidently produce: write on the paper. When it was time to produce: Write your name on the top of the paper, I at first guessed "top" would occur at the end of the sentence based on viewing arabic words in opposite positions. The word top actually goes after the word on and before paper just like in English : On top of the paper.

Homework:
I am to write 10 sentences using verbs that I find important and useful, and to convert them to male, female and group form.

- I only know two prepositions: على and من.  I do not use من  often and am unsure how to use it correctly. I will try to use both in my first homework attempt.

Homework Attempt 1:
singular(s) plural (p) male(m) female(f)

1.  eat: ياكل
(ms): اكل  (fs): اكلِ  (p): اكلوا
 Eat the apple on the table.

(ms) اكل تفاحة على الطاولة

(fs) اكلِ تفاحة على الطاولة

(p) اكلوا تفاحة على الطاولة


2.  call: يتصل    family: اسرة
Call your family on the phone.

(ms)  اتصل اسرتك على الهاتف

(fs) اتصلِِ اسرتك على الهاتف

(p) اتصلوااسرتكم على الهاتف

3. Give: يعطي  to= الى؟؟
Give the paper to me.

(ms)  اعطي ورقة الى انا

(fs) اعطيِ ورقة الى انا

(p) اعطيوا ورقة الى انا

4. read:يقرأ   lesson: درس
Read from the beginning of the lesson

(ms) .اقرأ  درس من زمان

(fs) اقرأِ درس من زمان

(p) اقرأوا درس من زمان

5. pray: يصلى lunch: غداء
Pray 6'hur after lunch.

(ms) اصلى ظهر بعد غداء

(fs) اصلىِ ظهر بعد غداء

(p) اصلىوا ظهر بعد غداء


Questions:
 -#2 do I need to add female form for phone (fs) ة?
- #3 would it be al wr8a ? since the subject is paper
-#3 it ends with a ي- do I still add waw +alif for (p)?
-#3 I do not get how to pronounce على vs الى
-#4 would I put al in front of lesson?
-#5 do I put al in front of dhur? in front of lunch?
-#5  I have never seen a ى+و Do I keep it that way (p)?
-#5 Is b3d before or after lunch? is it lunch b3d or b3d lunch?

Homework: Attempt 2

for اعطي  I am supposed to add the letter ن... اعطني
اعطوني for plural...
When you add the ن It makes it for you- like give me. Thus, I do not need to add the انا (I) at the end of the sentence. The fixed sentence should be:

(ms)اعطني الورقة

(fs) اعطنيِ الورقة

(p) اعطوني الورقة

Question: Where is the letter alif? waw+alif? for plural? why is only waw added?

5.(ms) صلى الظهر بعد الغداء

(fs) صلىِ الظهر بعد الغداء

(p) صلوا الظهر بعد الغداء

If I understood correctly, I am supposed to delete the initial alif and also delete (الف المقصوره (ى

No comments:

Post a Comment